Apply for Fireworks Permit
Applications for January 1, July 1 or October 31 must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the event.
Applications for fireworks discharge on any other date must be submitted a minimum of 45 days prior to event to allow for the application to be processed and presented to the Electoral Area Services Committee and CVRD Board for approval.
Contact CVRD Staff for a fireworks permit package.
- Permit is free of charge
- Must be 19 years old
- Must be the property owner or have permission
- Must adhere to the guidelines provided
- All liability assumed by permit holder
CVRD Fireworks & Discharge Regulation Bylaw No. 39
- The goal of Bylaw No. 39 is to reduce the risk of personal injury, noise, and property damage from fireworks use.
- Minimize the impact on livestock and pets.
- The area of jurisdiction of this Bylaw includes all electoral areas (Mill Bay/Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Cowichan Bay, Cowichan Station/Sahtlam/Glenora, Cowichan Lake South/Skutz Falls, Youbou/Meade Creek, Saltair/Gulf Islands, & North Oyster/Diamond) and the Town of Ladysmith and the Town of Lake Cowichan.
- Permitted dates; January 1st, July 1st, October 31st
- No person shall sell fireworks
- No person shall discharge fireworks unless in possession of an approved CVRD Fireworks Discharge Permit.
- No fireworks discharged within 500 m of a livestock property.
- No bonfires after sunset
- Sale of fireworks: $750
- Unlawful discharge of fireworks: $250
Talk to your neighbours!
- A friendly warning to your neighbours will limit disturbance. Respectful communication goes a long way for healthy neighbourly relations.
- Check for livestock and pets in your area
- Have a safe and fun time!