Call for Program Proposals
Do you have a special skill, talent, expertise, or ability that you can share with the community?
We are calling all interested individuals to submit proposals to offer and instruct recreation programs at the Cowichan Community Centre. We are always looking for new program ideas for all ages: early years, children and youth, adults and seniors.
Programs are delivered by community members and vendors that have developed enough knowledge and experience to deliver an engaging program.
Here are some examples of opportunities that your community may wish to access:
|Art & Crafting|
eg. preschool/children, stained glass
|Specialized Cooking Skills|
eg. world cuisines, kids in the kitchen
eg. photography, writing
|Active Lifestyle Activities|
ex. mountain biking, golf
|Pursuits in Nature|
eg. bird watching, nature education
|Sport Instruction & Skills Training|
eg. pickleball, learn to play lacrosse
eg. meditation, home alone
eg. writing, using technology
Our community members have wide and varied interests and aspirations. We’re open to creative and interesting program ideas and suggestions for all ages.
- Deadline for Fall (Sept - Dec) program submissions: May 31
- Deadline for Winter/Spring (Jan - May) program submissions: Sept 30
- Deadline for Summer (May - Aug) program submissions: Jan 31
Has the deadline passed for the season you’d hoped to join? Send us your proposal anyways! We would love to hear from you.
In many cases, professional qualifications are not necessary to instruct recreation level programs. Here are the qualifications to consider:
- Willing and able to submit to a Criminal Record Check.
- May be required to have First Aid training, depending on the nature of the program offering.
- Depth of knowledge and experience is sufficient to meet program demands.
- Able to confidently present information in small group settings.
- May require industry standard training depending on the program offering.
This is where both amateur and professional enthusiasts can shine. We’re looking for your experience to guide others to adopt new skills and interests.
- You may be a lifelong enthusiast with a lot to offer.
- We work with industry professionals that want to expand their reach.
- You may be newly trained in an area and have a lot to offer.
- We’ll ask you to provide examples of your teaching experience and what other experiences qualify you to offer this program.
When considering a new program we like to know a few details. We’re always there to help provide direction and create something together. Consider these factors:
- How much time is required to deliver the program content and how can that time be delivered over a number of hours, days, weeks, etc.?
- What schedule works best for the content, participants, and instructor?
- What age group or demographic is this program suitable for?
- What are the maximum number of participants that can participate?
- We’ll ask you to suggest what type of supplies and equipment are required to run the program. Is the instructor, participant, or centre providing these items?
- What type of a venue is required? Dance/Fitness Studio, Classroom, Gymnasium, Outdoors.
At the Cowichan Community Centre we try to provide affordable and accessible ways for community members to participate in activities and be introduced to new pastimes. These are a few things we will consider when working with you to develop fees and remuneration:
- We look at similar types of programs and offerings for fee suggestions.
- We strive to offer a fair, competitive, and accessible fee that promotes greater participation levels.
- Instructors may be paid on an hourly basis or a profit split as a temporary employee or as a small business. We’ll help you decide what the best option is for you.
- Many of our instructors come to us as volunteers - as they hope to promote their sport or activity, give back to the community, or create low cost opportunities for a program area that they are passionate about.
If you are interested in proposing a program with the Cowichan Community Centre, please complete a Program Proposal Form and contact a Programmer.
Adult/Seniors/Elder College Jennifer Carmichael
Arena/Sports Danielle Seeliger
All of our Programmers work closely with each other, so if you are not sure who to contact we can help direct you.