Bald Mountain Water System
Bald Mountain water system is located between Youbou and the Town of Lake Cowichan, next to Cowichan Lake, in Area I. The facility services over 200 properties.
Source, Treatment and Distribution
The water source consists of 3 groundwater wells and receives both chlorination and UV disinfection before being pumped to a 1120 m3 steel reservoir. The water is gravity fed on demand from the reservoir to the distribution system and to each water service.
Critical equipment is monitored 24-hours a day for malfunctions (such as high or low chlorine levels or pump failures); if such an abnormality occurs an alarm is sent to the on-duty pager to alert CVRD-staff for immediate response.
Water Quality Testing
Bald Mountain water system is sampled, at a minimum, once a week. The following table shows the sampling frequency and parameters tested for the water system:
|Weekly||Bacterial (E.Coli and Total Coliforms)||Samples are submitted to the Island Health Authority for testing by a provincial laboratory|
|Annual||Full spectrum analysis based on the Canadian Drinking Water Guidelines. Sampling of the source and distribution is alternated each year.||Bureau Veritas|
Testing results can be found in the Annual Water Report completed each year.
Bald Mountain is a fully metered water system. Each connection has a water meter that records water consumption. Water meters are read every six months and customers are charged according to their consumption and based on the rates set out in the table below. Current year budget information can be found here.
|Billing Period||Meter Reading Date||User Fees*|
minimum payment (up to 200m3)
|Parcel Tax**(approx. )||Minimum Annual Fee|
(User Fee and Parcel)
|April 1 - September 30||October 1||$135.00|
|October 1 - March 31|
*User Fees are mailed out to each customers on the billing date stated above.
**Parcel Tax is charged once a year and is incorporated into the property tax for each customer.
Inclined Block Rate Table
|Water Use (per billing period)||Charge|
|201-300 m3||$135.00 + $1.00 per m3 over 200m3|
|301-400 m3||$135.00 + $1.50 per m3 over 300m3|
|over 400 m3||$235.00 + $1.50 per m3 over 300m3|
User Charges may be adjusted where an undetected leak on the consumer's property has resulted in water usage greatly exceeding typical usage of water, according to the applicable classification(s) and there is no indication that water was knowingly allowed to run to waste. A request for a leak adjustment may be granted if all the following conditions are met or in extraordinary circumstances approval of the Corporate Financial Officer or the Manager.
1. The property owner has not been granted a leak adjustment in the last 5 years.
2. The leak was repaired within 30 days of billing or discovery of the leak.
3. Written verification describing the nature of the leakage and the action taken to rectify the problem must be received by the Manager before a leak adjustment will be granted.
Where a leak adjustment is approved, User Charge adjustments will be determined as follows:
1. If the leak is found in the service line, volumes from the 2 previous years, of the same billing cycle, will be averaged and charged. ie. Average of 2 previous summers, if leak occurs in the summer.
2. If the leak is associated with an in-home plumbing fixture or irrigation system, volumes from the 2 previous years, of the same billing cycle will be averaged plus 50% of the incremental water usage (between the average and the overage) will be charged to a maximum added value of $500.
3. Subsequent leaks occurring with the 5 years of the previous leak adjustment request will be eligible for a cap of $1,500.