What is a Development Permit?

A Development Permit (DP) is a land use permit used by local governments to review proposed developments to ensure they meet the policies and objectives of the Official Community Plan (OCP), and satisfy all required regulations in the zoning bylaw. A Development Permit may specify requirements respecting the character of development, including landscaping, and the siting, form, exterior design and finish of buildings and structures; environmental protection; protection from hazardous conditions and protection of farming. DP's may also impose conditions respecting the sequencing and timing of construction. Within designated Development Permit Areas (DPAs) land must not be subdivided or altered and buildings or structures cannot be constructed or altered, unless the owner has first obtained a DP. Once approved (by the General Manager or CVRD Board), the DP is registered against the title of the land and becomes binding on future land owners.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. What is the Web Map and how do I use it?
3. What is a Riparian Area?
4. What is subdivision?
5. Can I subdivide?
6. What is an accessory dwelling unit?
7. Can I have an accessory dwelling unit?
8. What is a secondary suite?
9. Can I have a secondary suite in my home?
10. What is an Official Community Plan?
11. What are Development Permit Areas (DPAs)?
12. What is a Development Permit?
13. How do I know if I need a Development Permit?
14. What is a Development Variance Permit?
15. How do I know if I need a Development Variance Permit (DVP)?
16. What is an Official Community Plan (OCP) Amendment?
17. How do I know if I need an OCP Amendment?
18. What is a Rezoning Application?
19. How do I know if I need a Rezoning Application?
20. What is the Board of Variance?
21. Can I have an Air B&B?
22. Can I cut down a tree (or trees), and do I need a permit?
23. Can I have chickens?
24. Can I live in my RV?
25. Do I need a Building Permit?
26. Do I need a Business License?
27. How do I know if my property is within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR)?
28. Can I have a 'tiny home'?
29. Can I request a change to the Official Community Plan (OCP)?
30. Can I request a change to my zone?
31. Why can't I find information on accessory buildings, suites, or minimum lot size requirements in the zoning section associated with my property?
32. Are there requirements for fence construction?