How do I know if I need a Development Permit?

If you are planning to develop your property and it's located within one or more Development Permit Areas (DPAs), you will need a Development Permit (DP) prior to obtaining a Building Permit or obtaining subdivision approval, unless otherwise exempt. It is important to remember, a DP is not a building permit. To find out if your  project requires a DP application you can call staff or follow the instructions below:

  1. Visit the online Web Map tool, search your property using the address tool or Parcel Identifier (PID)
  2. Identify your property using the 'identify' tool (top left) - click on your property. Information should populate on the left side including the parcel boundaries, survey plans and development permit areas. 
  3. If your property is within a Development Permit Area it will appear in that list as 'DPA #'. Click on the DPA. At the bottom there will be a hyperlink to the Official Community Plan for the Electoral Areas. 
  4. Schedule C of the OCP is where you will find the Development Permit Area guidelines, definitions and exemptions. If your project does not meet one of the exemptions under the applicable DPA you will need a DP, prior to altering the land in anyway.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. What is the Web Map and how do I use it?
3. What is a Riparian Area?
4. What is subdivision?
5. Can I subdivide?
6. What is an accessory dwelling unit?
7. Can I have an accessory dwelling unit?
8. What is a secondary suite?
9. Can I have a secondary suite in my home?
10. What is an Official Community Plan?
11. What are Development Permit Areas (DPAs)?
12. What is a Development Permit?
13. How do I know if I need a Development Permit?
14. What is a Development Variance Permit?
15. How do I know if I need a Development Variance Permit (DVP)?
16. What is an Official Community Plan (OCP) Amendment?
17. How do I know if I need an OCP Amendment?
18. What is a Rezoning Application?
19. How do I know if I need a Rezoning Application?
20. What is the Board of Variance?
21. Can I have an Air B&B?
22. Can I cut down a tree (or trees), and do I need a permit?
23. Can I have chickens?
24. Can I live in my RV?
25. Do I need a Building Permit?
26. Do I need a Business License?
27. How do I know if my property is within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR)?
28. Can I have a 'tiny home'?
29. Can I request a change to the Official Community Plan (OCP)?
30. Can I request a change to my zone?
31. Why can't I find information on accessory buildings, suites, or minimum lot size requirements in the zoning section associated with my property?
32. Are there requirements for fence construction?