Rural Property Taxes

In accordance with the Local Government Act, (the law that governs the activity of Local Governments), Regional Districts do not have the authority to collect taxes directly from residents or businesses. Instead, taxes for Regional Districts are requisitioned from the Province and member municipalities who collect from the taxpayers on behalf of the Regional District. Local services such as sewer, water, and garbage collection are funded through utility billings.

Payment Options

Residents living in an Electoral Area of the Cowichan Valley Regional District can choose from the following payment options:

Online with eTaxBC;

Bank/financial institution; or 

In person at Service BC, located at 5785 Duncan Street.

Utility Billing

If there is an outstanding balance on a utility bill as of December 31, the Regional District is required to transfer all outstanding amounts to the Surveyor of Taxes, who will then send a notice advising property owners they are in arrears. Property owners wishing to pay their outstanding account may submit their payment to Service BC. Please note that cheques are to be made payable to the Ministry of Finance and not the Cowichan Valley Regional District.

Municipal Taxes

Municipal Taxes are paid to the following Municipalities:

Municipality of North Cowichan

City of Duncan

Town of Ladysmith

Town of Lake Cowichan


Please refer to the Surveyor of Taxes, 1.888.355.2700, for inquiries directly relating to Rural Property Taxes.