Solid Waste Management Plan Amendment No. 4
We are happy to announce that the CVRD’s 2018 Solid Waste Management Plan Amendment 4 was approved by the BC Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy in August 2020. The Ministry’s approval allows the CVRD to work on the 13 strategies recommended in the Plan to move our region closer to Zero Waste. Read the new Plan and Public Consultation Report.
What is a Solid Waste Management Plan?
The Plan provides a vision for managing waste and recycling for the next 20 to 30 years, with clear actions set out for the next ten years. It covers all forms of municipal solid waste including garbage, recycling and construction/demolition waste. It does not include agricultural, industrial, forestry, liquid or hazardous waste.
The Plan sets out how waste and recycling will be managed in the region including collection, recycling and composting, processing, waste reduction, education, financing and disposal.
What's being proposed
Zero Waste won’t happen overnight, but we can get closer by putting the right strategies in place. The CVRD’s waste disposal rate is currently 358 kg per person. That’s much better than the provincial average of 472 kg per person, but there’s room for improvement. Waste audits show that more than 33% of the garbage sent to landfill is actually made up of organic material: 19% is wasted food, and another 14% is compostable organic material. Plastics, paper and other recyclables make up another 15% of our garbage. Strategies proposed in the new Solid Waste Management Plan will help to reduce these figures and help us meet our proposed regional targets, which are shown in the graphic below.
The Plan Advisory Committee (PAC), made up of 16 representatives from the local business community, First Nations, institutions, non-profit groups, members of the public and CVRD staff, met nine times in 2018 to review the waste management system, identify gaps and areas for improvement, and develop a set of guiding principles and regional waste reduction targets. Ultimately, the PAC recommended 13 strategies to help the region meet it's waste reduction targets. These are set out in the amended Solid Waste Management Plan. The CVRD Board approved the updated Plan on October 25, 2018, and final approval was provided by the BC Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy in August 2020.
- Solid Waste Management Plans
- Technical Memos
- Plan Advisory Committee
- Background Reports
- Presentations and Storyboards
- Solid Waste Management Plan 1995
- Solid Waste Management Plan Amendment 1 1997
- Solid Waste Management Plan Amendment 2 2002
- Solid Waste Management Plan Amendment 3 2006
- Solid Waste Management Plan Five Year Review 2013
- Solid Waste Management Plan 2018
- SWMP Public Consultation Summary @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
PAC Meeting Schedule, Agendas and Minutes
- October 4, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- October 4, 2018 Meeting Agenda
- August 2, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- August 2, 2018 Meeting Agenda
- June 21, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- June 21, 2018 Meeting Agenda
- May 10, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- May 10, 2018 Meeting Agenda
- March 29, 2018 Meeting Minutes
- March 29, 2018 Meeting Agenda
- PAC Terms of Reference @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Open House 1 Presentation April 25, 2018